A 5-Day Kenya Safari can be an amazing experience, allowing you to explore the country’s diverse wildlife and natural beauty. Kenya is famous for its national parks and reserves, which are home to a wide range of wildlife, including the Big Five (lion, elephant, buffalo, leopard, and rhinoceros).
This 5-day Kenya Safari itinerary can be customized based on your preferences, budget, and the specific wildlife you want to see.
Itinerary for Your 5-Day Kenya safari
Day 1: Nairobi to Maasai Mara
- Morning: Depart from Nairobi, the capital city of Kenya, and drive to the Maasai Mara National Reserve, one of Africa’s most famous safari destinations.
- Afternoon: Arrive at your lodge or camp in Maasai Mara, have lunch, and relax for a bit.
- Evening: Embark on your first game drive in Maasai Mara, where you can spot the Big Five (lion, elephant, buffalo, leopard, and rhinoceros) and witness the incredible wildebeest migration if you’re visiting during the right season.
- Accommodation: Maasai Mara lodge or tented camp.
Day 2: Maasai Mara
- Full Day: Spend the entire day exploring Maasai Mara. Enjoy morning and afternoon game drives, giving you ample opportunities to observe wildlife and capture stunning photographs.
- Optional Activities: Consider taking a hot air balloon ride over the Mara for a unique perspective of the savannah (must be booked in advance).
- Accommodation: Same as the previous night.
Day 3: Maasai Mara to Lake Nakuru
- Morning: After an early morning game drive and breakfast, depart from Maasai Mara and drive to Lake Nakuru National Park.
- Afternoon: Arrive at Lake Nakuru, have lunch, and relax for a while.
- Evening: Embark on a game drive around Lake Nakuru, known for its flamingos, rhinos, and diverse bird species.
- Accommodation: Lake Nakuru lodge or camp.
Day 4: Lake Nakuru to Amboseli National Park
- Morning: After breakfast, drive to Amboseli National Park, located at the foothills of Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania. Amboseli offers breathtaking views of Africa’s highest peak.
- Afternoon: Arrive at Amboseli, have lunch, and relax.
- Evening: Enjoy a game drive in Amboseli, where you can see large herds of elephants against the backdrop of Mount Kilimanjaro.
- Accommodation: Amboseli lodge or camp.
Day 5: Amboseli to Nairobi
- Morning: Take a morning game drive in Amboseli, savoring your last moments in the wilderness.
- Afternoon: After lunch, drive back to Nairobi.
- Evening: Arrive in Nairobi, where you can either catch a flight back home or spend an additional night in the city, depending on your travel plans.
- Accommodation: Safari lodges, tented camps, or permanent camps are usually included in the package. The level of luxury can vary based on your choice and budget.
- Meals: Most safari packages include meals, which can range from breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Some packages might only include breakfast and dinner.
- Transportation: Transportation between safari destinations and game drives within national parks and reserves are usually included. This can be in the form of a 4×4 safari vehicle or sometimes small planes for transfers between different game reserves.
- Game Drives: Multiple game drives within national parks and reserves are typically included, led by experienced safari guides. These game drives are the primary activities during the safari and allow you to spot wildlife.
- Park Fees: Entrance fees to national parks and wildlife reserves are generally included in the package cost.
- Guides: Knowledgeable safari guides who are familiar with the local flora and fauna are usually part of the package.
- International Flights: Your flight to and from Kenya is typically not included in the safari package.
- Visa Fees: The cost of obtaining a visa to enter Kenya is usually not included in the package.
- Travel Insurance: It’s advisable to purchase travel insurance, which covers trip cancellations, medical emergencies, and other unforeseen events. This is usually not included in the basic package.
- Optional Activities: Some activities such as hot air balloon safaris, cultural visits, or guided nature walks might not be included and would incur additional charges.
- Tips and Gratuities: Tips for safari guides, drivers, and lodge staff are generally not included in the package and are at your discretion.
- Alcoholic Beverages: Unless specified, alcoholic beverages are usually not included in the package.
- Personal Expenses: Souvenirs, additional snacks, and other personal expenses are not included.
- Laundry Services: Laundry services at lodges or camps are typically not included in the package.