A 5-day Tanzania camping safari can be an incredible adventure, allowing you to experience the diverse wildlife and stunning landscapes of this Tanzania country. Below is a itinerary for a 5-day Tanzania camping safari, focusing on the northern circuit, which is renowned for its wildlife and scenic beauty.
Our affordable 5-day camping safari in Tanzania starts from Arusha from approximately 08:00 to 8:30. The safari includes crossing the city of Arusha, giving you a short opportunity to do any necessary shopping before heading to Tarangire National Park.
Itinerary for Your 5-Day Tanzania Camping safari
Day 1: Tarangire National Park
- Depart from Arusha in the morning.
- Drive to Tarangire National Park, known for its large elephant populations.
- Enjoy a full day of game drives, observing a variety of wildlife and bird species.
- Set up your camping site within the park, surrounded by the sounds of the African wilderness.
Day 2: Lake Manyara National Park
- After breakfast, drive to Lake Manyara National Park.
- Explore the park, known for its tree-climbing lions and diverse birdlife.
- Continue with a game drive and then set up your campsite within the park or at a nearby campsite.
Day 3: Serengeti National Park
- Leave Lake Manyara and head to the famous Serengeti National Park.
- Enjoy game drives in the Serengeti, home to the Big Five (lion, leopard, elephant, buffalo, and rhino).
- Set up your campsite within the Serengeti for an authentic wilderness experience.
Day 4: Serengeti National Park
- Spend a full day exploring the Serengeti, observing the incredible wildlife and the Great Migration (if your visit aligns with it).
- Visit the Serengeti’s various ecosystems, from open plains to acacia woodlands.
- In the evening, enjoy a campfire and share stories with your fellow travelers.
Day 5: Ngorongoro Crater and Departure
- Depart the Serengeti in the morning and drive to the Ngorongoro Crater.
- Descend into the crater, often referred to as the “African Eden,” for a game drive.
- Spot an array of wildlife, including the chance to see the endangered black rhino.
- After the game drive, begin your journey back to Arusha.
- You’ll arrive in Arusha in the late afternoon, where your safari concludes.
- Transportation: Transportation from your starting point to the safari destination and back is usually included. This could be in the form of a 4×4 safari vehicle.
- Accommodation: Accommodation in camping sites within or near national parks is included. This typically involves staying in tents. The tents are usually equipped with basic amenities like sleeping mats and sometimes beds.
- Meals: Most packages include meals throughout the safari. This includes breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Special dietary requirements can often be accommodated if requested in advance.
- Park Fees: Entrance fees to the national parks and conservation areas you visit are usually included in the package.
- Game Drives: Daily game drives with experienced guides who know the area and can help you spot wildlife are included. These game drives can happen early in the morning and in the late afternoon when animals are most active.
- Camping Equipment: Camping equipment like tents, sleeping bags, and sometimes camping chairs and tables are provided.
- Staff: You might have a team of staff accompanying you including a driver-guide, a cook, and camp assistants who handle the logistics of setting up the campsite.
- Flights: International and domestic flights to and from Tanzania are usually not included in the package.
- Travel Insurance: Travel insurance, covering trip cancellations, medical emergencies, and other unexpected events, is generally not included but highly recommended.
- Visa Fees: Fees for obtaining a Tanzanian tourist visa are not typically included in the package.
- Optional Activities: Activities like hot air balloon safaris, guided walking safaris, and cultural visits to local communities are often not included but can be arranged for an additional cost.
- Personal Expenses: Expenses for souvenirs, tips, alcoholic beverages, and other personal items are usually not included.
- Additional Accommodations: Accommodations before or after the safari, if you choose to stay extra days in Tanzania, are not part of the safari package.